Welcome to my blog!

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"The yogi renounces all that takes him away from the Lord. He renounces his own desires, knowing that all inspiration and right action come from the Lord. He renounces those who oppose the work of the Lord, those who spread demonic ideas and who merely talk of moral values but do not practise them." - B.K.S. Iyengar

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Can It!


I've been on AOL for more years than I'd like to recall. I know AOL like the back of my hand (maybe better). I've had more people on and off of my buddy list than I can remember. I know just about every Instant Message sound there is. I also know that movies are STILL using the SAME canned sound effects that AOL uses for its Instant Message sounds.

Case in point: Stay Alive (2006). Now I love me some horror movies, but when the first sound out of this movie was a canned AOL scream, I knew it was a bad omen. O.K., I admit, it was entertaining, and it kept me interested, but without ruining too much for those who may want to see it, there's a particular sound in the movie that's supposed to send shivers up and down your spine, and that sound is the cat purr from AOL's Instant Message sounds. All in all, the movie wasn't bad despite the canned sound effects and the fact that Malcolm from "Malcolm in the Middle" was in it, but PLEASE STOP WITH THE AOL SOUND EFFECTS!

P.S. The ending was a very disappointing set-up for a sequel that will probably never be made.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Oh, that sequel will be made. You'll see. Give it 6 months and watch the subway posters. "Stay Alive 2: The Purring Never Dies"

I hate watching cop shows where they dub the same tire screech over every single police pursuit.

You'd think these Hollywood movies could afford better sound people.